Saturday, November 28, 2015

Run Turkey Run ~ Thanksgiving 2015

We woke up to a beautiful display of Mother Nature's flocking on Thursday!  Very pretty!


Michaela and I got our 2nd Run Turkey Run in the books on Thursday.  It was a very chilly 7 degrees when I left the house.  You can see that we are quite bundled up.




We met at Perkins for breakfast before the run.  My son-in-law even came along and brought the kids to have breakfast with us and to cheer on Michaela.  I thought that was pretty great.  He had the kids in the truck and waved at us along the route but of course you can't park at the finish line so they got out and met us there.  The wee ones were not excited about the cold (and neither were we really), so the post race festivities were cut short.

Our finish time was better than last year by several minutes (I want to say 12'ish).  Certainly not the 27 minute 5k that is on  my goal list for the year, but I didn't expect that for this fun run.  Truth be told, it wasn't easy.  The roads were icy so I purchased a pair of Yak Trax (review to come later).  This was something brand new on race day... big no-no except I wasn't aiming for a PR anyway.  They require different muscle use and I kept getting cramps in my legs.  Plus, the very cold air made it hard to breath.  I made us walk a couple of times.



Sometime in the days since that race I managed to lose my running gloves.  I'm so bummed.  They are expensive to replace and I'm sure they fell out of my lap getting out of the truck in a parking lot somewhere. Sad times.

Thanksgiving dinner was at my house.  I missed seeing Sierra and her family, but Michaela's family, Sara's family, Donovan and his girlfriend and daughter all came. I had 13 people and though my house seems big for two people... it sure seemed small when I was trying to figure out how to seat that many people!

My contribution for dinner was the turkey, the stuffing (I make the best), homemade cranberry dipping sauce - an Alton Brown recipe and pies.

I can't believe I didn't get any pictures of the beautiful turkey!  But I made sure to snap shot the evolution of my apple pie... which turned out runny BTW.

The bowl was FULL when I was done peeling.  


It takes a LOT of apples to fill a pie dish!


I later found out it was runny inside, but it sure was beautiful straight out of the oven.


And I pat myself on the back for a job well done.


I happen to think I make the best stuffing/dressing.  I don't consider myself a fantastic cook for most things, but I have figured out this one recipe and I am a master at it.  The core of my recipe (before it gets added to the bread):

I fill a 9x13 pan and usually do not have much in the way of leftovers.  I never put it inside the bird because there is a possibility that it won't heat enough to cook out the bacteria from the turkey juice before the turkey is done.  Nobody should have to eat dry turkey to accomodate cooking time for the stuffing.

Dinner was amazing.  Visiting with family was awesome.  I have so much to be thankful for!  I hope that all of my friends and family had an a wonderful holiday and feel as loved and blessed as I do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanksgiving Day marked the start of the anual Runner's World #RWRunstreak:  Run at least one mile every day between Thanksgiving and New Years.  This year I am participating for the first time.

Yesterday was TOUGH.  We spent much of our day running around with the Black Friday crowds and by the time I got home I didn't have much of a desire to put on my gear and get out for day 2.  In fact it was dark.  But something really cool happened.  Mitch went with me.  We put on our warmest gear, our head lamps (review to come) and Yak Trax and went for a one mile run together in the dark at 9:30 at night.  Mitch loves to cycle, but he is not a runner.  And he ran the whole time that I did.  I was super proud of him and I was really glad he went with me.  It gave me motivation and made me feel safer.


By the way... does anyone else run slower in the dark even though it feels so much faster?

Well everyone, that is a wrap on the Thanksgiving post.  I'll write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment